What is Go Gold September?
Go Gold September Childhood cancer awareness is a cause we choose to support as a swim family. Gold in September is an International childhood cancer awareness non-profit organization. This project aims to inspire initiatives which will lead to research in order to find a cure for childhood cancer.
- Awareness leads to funding
- Funding provides financial support for research
- Research leads to new improved cancer treatments with the hope to find a cure for cancer.
September is earmarked as childhood cancer awareness month in North America. Gold is the chosen color for the month after an 11-year-old Girl called Annie experienced the effects of childhood cancer in her own family. Learn more about Gold in September and how you can get involved.
Why do we support Go Gold September?
- Monica’s health:
Monica has been sick since she was 1 month old. Our memories of age 1-5 is a haze of hospitals, tests and a sick child that ask Mom, why do I get the sick? At the age of 5, our pediatrician made a final diagnosis. Monica suffers from Asthma and we start treatment. Our family is forever grateful for the current good health that Monica enjoys. We cannot imagine what it must be like for parents to receive the news that their child has cancer. For that reason, we want to pay it forward and show our support even if it is just creating awareness.
- Dedicating events at swim meets with family and friends:
Monica loves to swim for a reason. It is something she started doing at a young age – i.e. she would dedicate a race to Granny, her godparents or our friends. Why does Monica dedicate her events?
I love them and miss my family. If I swim for someone special I swim faster.
- Swim to inspire:
In 2015 Gold in September ran an awareness campaign on Facebook. As a sign of our appreciation for Monica’s good health and in support of the families with sick children, we decided to join the campaign by creating awareness.
What will we do in 2016 for Gold in September childhood cancer awareness?
- Video dedicating all events at KZN Junior championships to childhood cancer awareness.
- We will give handmade gold beaded ribbons to our swim friends at KZN Junior Champs to wear in support of Gold in September.
- We challenge our fellow swim friends to join us in support and also swim to increase Childhood cancer awareness on 24 and 25 September 2016.
- Monica will spread the word about this project to all her friends on social media.
- Monica will swim in her Gold and black AP-12 swimsuit in support of Go Gold September.